Thursday, January 29, 2015

No Can Do

I recently turned down some work because it was highly technical and I am highly "not" technical. I tend to be more Luddite than Dot Com, although I'm fierce with Social Media.

I hated to turn away a nice client and a pile (small) of money, but I knew from my initial reading of the job specs that although I could do the job, it would take me twice as long as someone skilled in technology, apps etc. I also would not feel comfortable writing about something I only knew a little bit about.

I know me and I know I'd over achieve. I'd study and research and spend a huge amount of time trying to grasp the technology even before I wrote the piece.

For the client and for me, it was not worth it. Learning to say, "No, I can't do this job" is one of the hardest things. However, in my experience you gain good will and respect from the client for admitting your weaknesses.




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup that is my motto and I think clients appreciate honesty.

      Delete
  2. I think you made the right choice. Hopefully, some better assignments will come along that you are more comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Linda. All I know is I need a certain level of comfort that I can do the job exceedingly well or I'll turn it down.

      Delete