Friday, January 9, 2015

How I lost that pharmacy account

I actually found one job on another blog of mine. I think I had a headline like Pen for Hire. Quaint. Pens don't do much now except endorse checks, and half the time PayPal takes care of most money transactions.

Still I like to think of writing as a craft.

I am sure I would have enjoyed the days of fountain pens and silky sheets of white paper, and I bring that sensitivity to my work. I don't crank out crap.

Online writing?

Well everyone can do it now. That's what the many people think unfortunately.

You can go to a website that is selling a great product or service and read vacuous drivel. You'll find typos sprinkled on pages like they were sentence seasonings. Or you'll find egregious grammar errors that are the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.

What you need is crisp, original copy that people want to read. It has to be easy to read, fun to read and clearly supports your product or service.

It must be priced right. That's what I did wrong with the online pharmacy job. I didn't price my job right. I asked for too much. I wish they would have negotiated with me as I would have definitely lowered my fee.

A lesson learned for both sides, client and writer - negotiate payment so both sides are happy.




2 comments:

  1. This happened to me with a great gig I would have loved in social media promotion for an attorney in NJ. Dang it! I l would have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clients need to negotiate with writers and they would end up getting what they want at a price they want to pay in most cases. Your N. J. client missed out on a fabulous writer by not giving you that chance!

    ReplyDelete