Saturday, January 31, 2015

How to Proofread your Writing

It's not easy to proofread your own work. It's almost impossible, but here are a few tricks that will help you turn in error-free copy.

1) Change the font. Choose a different font than the one you originally used for your writing and your copy will appear differently to your eye and help you spot the mistakes.

2) Increase the size of the font and you will also get a new perspective on your writing and errors will be easier to see.

3) Check for mistakes like it's and its. Always read it's as "it is" and you will avoid using it's when you want the possessive.

4) Read your work aloud. This uses another part of the brain, and you may hear the mistake you could not see.

5) Everyone has built-in errors that we make over and over again. Maybe it's there and their or we tend to misspell certain words probably since childhood. Go over your work one time looking for those words to ensure you have them spelled correctly. Words like there and their don't show up in Spellcheck.

6) Do not use Spellcheck until you have read through your copy twice and used the methods in 1-4 above to hunt down mistakes.







4 comments:

  1. I skip words or parts of words often. Then I don't even notice it when tired of the material. Often I make myself read it in the morning before publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swore I responded to this comment but it isn't here --anyhow yes, that is an important tip I should have included. If you can put your writing down for a day it's a big help. Another tip I forgot is to print out your work and not proof online only. A hard copy is easier to proof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it really matters, I have my friend Leeann read it for me and tell me what needs improvement and I do the same for her. After years I realize I really can't proofread myself. lol I see what I meant to say not what I said

    ReplyDelete