Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Listicles: Do you like them?

I was just researching the value of listicles and wondered what you thought? For those who don't know, listicles are what you see all over the Internet and emblazoned on magazine covers. Here are a few examples:

Five ways to get your man in the mood
10 ways to prepare guacamole
7 must-have kitchen tools

What's good about listicles?

By using a numbered or bulleted format, you can write the article quickly and your readers can digest the information easily. One quick glance and you have the basic information. If you care to read more, there is usually a paragraph or so of text for each number or bullet.

What's not good about listicles?

The name (amusing but begging for parody) and the fact that this format style is used for click bait articles which usually aren't worth your click.

So what do you think? Do you enjoy listicles or do you define them as crap?

4 comments:

  1. I can appreciate listicles as long as they really do pack a punch. A lot can be said in a few words if done right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and since the trend in Social Media is fast, faster and fastest, creating copy that is easy to read and quick to read often wins over long winded articles even if they are interesting and well written.

      Delete
  2. I like list. I always have. I like to scan them quickly and read what I like and get going. However, I am disappointed so many times because the content is not what I thought I was promised and seems full of fillers. That I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mary. Click bait is responsible for a lot of false claims in the headline but once you click you get a bunch of nothing. haahah

      Delete